Evolution 1 Owner

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

• Evolution 1 Owner

Hello,

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum initially.

Sorry but I can't speak German. I'm trying to learn! For now translate using babelfish.altavista.com/
      Thanks!

I have a 190 Evolution imported from Germany in 1997. I'm busy fixing a few faults with the KE-Jetronic injection and putting the Car back to stock. At the moment the car has 10Jx17" Borbet "C" type wheels on the rear and 8.5Jx17" on the front. Fitted in Germany around 1992/3. I have the old log book and German service history. The engine number ends ...429.

Love to talk to other Evolution owners and perhaps meet up at an event in the future!

Cheers,
      Neil
      --
      Photo of my Evolution:
      benzworld.org/gallery/pics/36...200315614PM.jpg
    • RE: Evolution 1 Owner

Original von UKEvo
      Hello,
      Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum initially.
      Sorry but I can't speak German. I'm trying to learn! For now translate using babelfish.altavista.com/
      Thanks!
      I have a 190 Evolution imported from Germany in 1997. I'm busy fixing a few faults with the KE-Jetronic injection and putting the Car back to stock. At the moment the car has 10Jx17" Borbet "C" type wheels on the rear and 8.5Jx17" on the front. Fitted in Germany around 1992/3. I have the old log book and German service history. The engine number ends ...429.
      Love to talk to other Evolution owners and perhaps meet up at an event in the future!
      Cheers,
      Neil
      --
      Photo of my Evolution:
      benzworld.org/gallery/pics/36...200315614PM.jpg

Hi
      Neil
      welcome to the board and congratulations to your EVO. :)
      It`s no problem to post in english here on our board. 8)
      We are looking forward to your articles and willingly help you with upcoming questions. ;)
      Unfortunately the link to your EVO is broken. ?(
      Could you please check that?
      I´d love to see the pictures.
      kind regards
      Kampfstern

Hi Frank,

Yes I believe in originality, I own quite a few classic cars, a lot older than the Evo 1 so I've done a few restorations before. After many years sometimes there isn't much left thats original on a car! :) I'm only buying the parts from Mercedes, including fasteners etc so when it's finally back to stock it will at least look "correct". Not to say I don't love modified cars, I do, it's very tempting to tune cars but when I do it I try to make them internal modifications not visible.

I live in West Sussex in the south of England near Portsmouth. I'm not actually English, I'm a New Zealander by way of Australia! :) So the Evo will eventually move back to Australia in a few years time. It will be extraodinarily rare in that country! We didn't even get the early 4 cyl. M3's!

Cheers,
      Neil

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the welcome! I've got some German audio tapes and am learning to speak a little German but it's difficult for me at the moment. Will keep at it so I can read my "Fahrzeugbrief". :) The car has had 4 german owners, 2 women which I find interesting! Seeing as the car has a pretty macho image! lol

Picture of my car below. It's pretty bad, taken by the dealer who I bought it off.

benzworld.org/gallery/goto.asp?id=10876

I need to take some more photo's but the car is in pieces at the moment as I'm replacing the air flow meter - mengenmesser. My idle was going up and down and I found the potentiometer was intermittant and outside it's range. Hopefully that will cure the problem. I was driving it around with the EHA disconnected, no closed loop control which was pretty good but nowhere like what it could and will be like when it's all working properly!

I found out today that my car should have a front splitter underneath the bumper! I had no idea that they should have one of these until I saw betimas.de

Unfortunately the price of the splitter here in the UK is £600.00! 870 Euro!! Sigh.... :(

I also have to buy a set of R129/Evo 1 alloys. The 255 tyres looks great but drive pretty poorly. I imagine they are nice on the track but on normal roads the car lacks tenacity and is a bit "piggish".

Cheers,
      Neil

Do try get used to that becouse the parts for evo s are expensive.
      For youre trouble with the ke jetronic perhaps i could help.
      On my evo i hade the same problem,if you have elready take of the complete air meter you will see on the petrol part thats were the 4 injector drains come on a black thing with a lead with a conector on it there are two litle plate on both edges.
      With a litle knife you can take them out behind it there are 4 torx screws.
      If you losen them only a bit and tigten the one you can losen wen the compleet unit is mounted again you mount it again start the car let it run stationair losen the one torx screw and try adjust that compleet black thing.
      Adjust it till the engine run smooth.
      the best is to di that with an special meter it mesures the lambda that must be 50% +_ 10 and most importand have go up and down a litle.
      i hade trouble with my evo for a long time and fixed it as above

greetings cor de jong

Hi Neil,
      welcome to the Board. Nice to hear from an Evo-Fan from the UK. If you are planing to bring your car to Australia i can garantie you, that it'll be extraordinary, cause i was 2 years ago in Australia(Sydney) visiting my relatives and everybody i met was impressed by the German cars . Nearly no one is driving a Mercedes or a BMW there - like you will know. An other point is that you'll have a left hand drive car. That will be an attraction too. Do you know how much it'll cost shipping the car to Australia? 2 years ago i thought about moving to Australia and staying there. So i wondered how my it would cost shipping my Evo to Australia.
      Bye
      Zeus
    • RE: Evolution 1 Owner - Air flow meter (mengenmesser) setting

Cor,

Many thanks for the info. I didn't know how to adjust the potentiometer. :) Unfortunately mine is completely dead so I have bought a new air flow meter. Can you tell me what the resistance values should be for the potentiometer on pins 1 & 2?

I see 1K at zero position and a maximum 9.6K at 3/4 deflection and a slight decrease in resistance at maximum deflection. I have a W201 CD and it has resistance values for the 8 V air flow meter, I am not sure what they are supposed to be for the 16 V 2.5. The Bosch part number is 0438121 072.

Also I need some information on if it is necessary for me to set the zero position of the airflow meter plate. Are they pre-set at the factory? I notice on my old one, it is not in the position shown on the CD. At the top of the vertical machined surface. In fact it is a couple of mm over. It is the same on the new air flow meter. This doesn't match with what the CD says.

I notice that if I depress the plate to where the CD says to set the zero position, the resistance value does not change, indicating that there is some period of movement prior to the potentiometer reporting any change. Is it supposed to have this "idle period" - or is it supposed to respond due to any change of airflow? I would suspect it is supposed to be in the zero position but I wonder why both of my air flow meters are not correctly set!

Hoping someone can help me here! :)

Cheers,
      Neil

-- babelfish.altavista.com German translation below

Viel Dank für das Info. Ich konnte nicht den Potentiometer justieren. Leider ist Grube vollständig tot, also habe ich einen neuen Luftströmungsmesser gekauft. Können Sie mir erklären, was die Widerstand Werte für den Potentiometer auf Stiften 1 u. 2 sein sollten? Ich sehe 1K auf nullposition und 9.6K an der Ablenkung und an einer geringfügigen Abnahme 3/4s am Widerstand an der maximalen Ablenkung. Ich habe ein W201, das DIGITALSCHALLPLATTE ist und es hat Widerstand Werte für den 8 V Luft-Strömungsmesser, ich ist nicht sicher, was sie für die 16 V 2,5 sein sollen. Die Bosch Teilnummer ist 0438121 072. Auch ich benötige etwas Informationen an, wenn es notwendig für mich ist, die nullposition der Luftstrommeßinstrumentplatte einzustellen. Sind sie einstellten an der Fabrik? Ich beachte auf meinem alten, es bin nicht in der Position, die auf dem CD gezeigt wird. An der Oberseite der vertikalen bearbeiteten Oberfläche. Tatsächlich ist es ein Paar von Millimeter rüber. Es ist derselbe auf dem neuen Luftströmungsmesser. Dieses paßt nicht mit zusammen, was das CD sagt. Ich beachte, daß, wenn ich die Platte niederdrücke zu, der das CD sagt, die nullposition einzustellen, der Widerstand Wert nicht ändert und anzeigt, daß es irgendeine Periode der Bewegung vor dem Potentiometer gibt, der über jede mögliche Änderung berichtet. Soll es diese "untätige Periode" haben - oder soll es reagieren wegen irgendeiner Änderung des Luftstromes? Ich würde es soll in der nullposition sein vermuten, aber ich wundere mich, warum beide meiner Meßinstrumente nicht richtig eingestellt werden! Das Hoffen jemand kann mir hier helfen!

Zeus,

I'm also from Sydney. :) Lived there for 11 years before moving over here. It's "home" to me.

I think it will cost you around 3,000 Euro to ship the car, look at that as a maximum. But you will also have to pay duty on the car. I think now it is GST, so 10% of the value of the car. There will also be other charges etc but nothing major.

If you do decide to go ahead, contact me because I have imported a few cars from the US to Australia and can help you with the guidlines. One of them is you must have approval to import from the Government before you bring the car in. You can't just put the car on the ship because if you do it will be refused entry. It's not a difficult thing, if you have owned the car for a number of years. You may have to have the car "complianced" to be able to register it. I'm not entirely sure, so you would have to do things like change the seat belts, lights etc etc etc to comply with Australian design regulations - no they're not better than German standards, just different. Red bloody tape. ;) LOL

Cheers,
      Neil

There are 2 places that you can say is the zero one is engine of air flow on rest place but as soon as the engine is runing the air flow meter will go down a bit.
      ile have from bosch the proper way from how it must be
      set.
      mail me your fax number and ile fax it too you.
      on the other hand i had the best result with adjust it wile idle running and den adjust.
      greetins cor de jong

Cor,

Many thanks for the offer. My work fax number is:

+44 1444 456 614

Please mark it to my attention as it's a shared fax:

Neil Cotty
      Global Freight Solutions

I was reading in the CD how there has to be fuel pressure to set the level. I gather you adjust it by hitting the pin on the top of the unit. Hopefully it won't require adjustment the other way as you have to take the whole unit off and adjust it internally. Can you not adjust it before it is installed on the car? I gather not!

Cheers,
      Neil

Welcome Neil!!! Nice to see you made it here. :D

By the way, dont worry to much about not speaking German...because I dont neither ?( ?(

However, I wish I could speak German, I always wanted to learn that language :)

Henry (Switzerland)